How to tell when a surgical biopsy is necessary. By Dr. Rob for MSN Health & Fitness Q: I'm a woman in my late 30s and found a lump on my breast. I had a mammogram and ultrasound, both of which came back negative. On my doctor's suggestion, I then met with a surgeon, who said it's not a cyst and wants to have a surgical biopsy done to know for sure. I'm confused. Should I get a second opinion? A: Breast lumps are pretty common, especially in premenopausal women. Fortunately, most are benign (not cancerous) and tend to come and go during a menstrual cycle. However, finding one can be very scary, especially with the knowledge that it could be cancer. This fact makes it very important for every woman—or man, for that matter—to see a physician if any changes in the breasts or nipples, such as discharge or bleeding, is noticeable. That being said, I want to reassure you that it sounds as if your physician has followed the proper protocol in evaluating your breast lum...
Comments
Post a Comment